|Stretch:||Road Bridge #2 to Road Bridge #1|
|Difficulty:||Class IV to V-|
|Flows:||8 to 15 cms|
|Gradient:||337 fpm average|
|Put-in:||2nd road bridge as you drive up the river.|
|Take-out:||1st road bridge as you drive up the river|
|Shuttle:||1 miles (5 minutes one-way)|
|Season:||May and July|
|Featured in A Wet State #102 and in A Wet State's contribution to World Kayak's Video Guide|
Norway 2015 – Day 7
Continuing down from the upper we scouted each drop and threw in one quick portage. The portage has been run but needs very specific water level and is a tight light between several opportunities to check some rocks. And the walk is easy… so we walked. Downstream you immediately get to the race course where the Vekoextremsport race is help each June (last week of June). Downstream lay a nice 15 foot water fall that is mellow and great waterfall practice. Downstream of that lay a tight winding gorge that takes you down to take-out. Some choose to go past the road bridge 100 meters to run a 20 foot waterfall, though this requires low water as the waterfall is boxed in with bad undercuts on either side.
Getting off the river around 1 pm, I decided to take a walk that afternoon up the headwaters of the river. While I was walking, Daniel decided to take Will (who had taken an off day that morning) down the lower as Will should not miss this run. They reported that at 3 pm the water was 1.5 feet higher and much more continuous on the lower, but that it went fine!
We ended up camping at the end of the road another night, and made plans the next morning to take a look at the Money Drop as well as the Play Run on the Raundalselvi. The latter of which is oddly named since it has several class V rapids!
Thanks to Harald Glanz for sharing photos.
Last: Norway 2015: Day 7 Prior - Brandsetlevi (Upper)
Next: Norway 2015: Day 8 Morning - Raundalselvi (Play Run)
- Under the Bridge (IV+ to V-). When you get to the bridge, scout. The right is the obvious spot. But you might want someone on the left so that they can get below the bottom hole for safety. The first drop is an s-turning lip into a 10 foot boof with a shallow landing on right and left. The landing zone is actually only a boat width. 20 feet of fast moving water leads to the exit boof over a sticky hole.
Small Slide (IV). Just below is a small slide. You want to be on the right side of the rock, but driving a little left to avoid some rock contact.
- Portage (V+). The next rapid is occasionally run though most commonly walked. A slide slams you into the right wall before going around a bend and dropping through a crack. Specific water levels are required. Portage right and seal launch in.
Exit (IV). Just below is a fun drop that we boofed right on.
- 90 Degree Slide (V-). The next drop is a really fun one. Scout on the right. The lead in is a ramp to a sloping hole, then then quickly drops over a small ledge where the river makes a 90 degree turn right before dropping off a slide. Some folks surf the hole at the turn to get far right, others enter far left which allows you time to turn and burn back to the far right.
- Race Course Start (V-). The first rapid of the race course should be scouted on the right. The first part is a slide that you want to be far left on. The river then bends right and you want to drive right over a two tiered ledge landing in the eddy below. The exit of the rapid is 2 ledges. You want to be far right on both. Be aware on the first one, significant water gets driven left under the wall and this has been the site of a pin that caused some severe leg injuries due to the extraction effort. So stay right.
Boogie (III) There is one boogie rapid just downstream that we ran down the right through a seam.
- Waterfall (IV+). A straight forward water that is about 15 feet tall can be run left or right. Downstream is a tight little gorge so set safety as needed. Scout right.
Gorge (IV+). You probably want to scout this while scouting the Waterfall to make it so you don’t have to get out of your boat again. At the top, the river splits around a midriver rock, you want to drive hard left or right. At lower flows choose left. Just below, the river splits around another rock which left is easy enough to go around. This then ramps into a 6 foot boof. Be aware, the far left slams into rock and the right has a little pocket. Ideally you want to be just right of center, error right.
Exit (IV). Just below is one last rapid where you want to drive left off the wall and boof through the hole below. You are then greeted with some boogie to the bridge.
- Bridge (IV). Most take out just above the bridge, or you can run one more rapid at the bridge.
Pinch Falls (V+). If the water is low you can continue on just a little further to get one more drop. Due to the nature of the falls into a pinch with two bad undercuts you do not want this one unless the water is low.
Take-out: From Voss, take E16 north/East for 28 km. On the far side of the Oppheimsvatnet lake, turn right on Bradsetvegen toward Brandset. Follow for about 1 km to the first bridge over the river.
Put-in: From take-out, drive up the same road, you will cross the bridge after 1.0 km. This is a great put-in for the lower section if the water is too low for the Upper.
HTML Comment Box is loading comments...